After multiple nights of my Netflix asking “Are you still watching?” I knew I needed more activities to keep me occupied. Are you searching for things to do to keep you occupied? Are you searching for ways to support your downtown businesses? I am here to help.
You might not be able to physically go inside your favorite downtown businesses, but you can still support them while keeping busy and safe at home. You can get outside, host a Happy Hour with friends, send love to people in your life or essential workers, order your favorite meals to go and much more! Below is my list of 10 recommendations to keep busy and how to make the most of our current situation.
1. Get Outside
- As days are getting warmer, I see more people on the walking trail outside my window. I encourage you to get fresh air too. With warmer weather comes those pesky mosquitos. Purity Soapworks Fresh Mint Bug Spray is here to help! Order online and fight those blood sucking bugs.
- If you want to go for a bike ride, but need a new bike or bike repair, the ReCycle shop is OPEN. They are operating their normal business hours, Monday – Saturday, 10:00AM – 5:30PM. If you need bike service you can give them a call or email to set up an appointment. If you would like to stop by to check out their products, knock on their door during business hours and they will let you in.
- Play fetch with your furry friends! Need a new leash, dog toys or treats? Ellensburg Pet Center is open and available for curbside pickup or local delivery.
- Order take-out or delivery from a downtown restaurant and have a picnic with your quarantine buddies!
*Purity Soapworks – Fresh Mint Bug Spray
2. Pick-up a New Book
- We spend so much time looking at screens that our eyes need a break. Grab a new book from Pearl Street Books. They have books for all ages to enjoy. Purchase a cookbook and try some new recipes, or purchase a bird identification book and see what birds are outside your window. Just send them a message or email, or give them a call. They offer curbside pickup, free delivery and shipping.
*Pearl Street Books – Bird Identification Books
3. Online Happy Hour
- You can use FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, download Zoom or Skype, and more. All of those platforms will allow you to connect over video with more than one person. Before you start your Happy Hour make sure you fill up your growler at Dark Moon Craft Beer, Bruce’s Place or Iron Horse Brewery. You can also pick up cocktail essentials from The Mule, Cornerstone Pie and The Pearl Bar & Grill. Wine lovers! Order wine from Gard Vintners online and take advantage of BRIX’s 20% off wine.
*Cornerstone Pie – CSP Bloody Mary Cocktail Box
4. At-Home Workout
- Indigo Yoga has online classes with a full weekly schedule. Contact them if you want to do yoga from the comfort of your home. Once you sign up for a membership you will have access to the online classes. They also offer FREE class Friday to the public. Check their Facebook page for more information on how to join.
- Maximus, The Gym is posting an at-home workout video every day, Monday-Friday, on their Facebook page. They make sure to make workouts fun and easy for viewers to follow along. I did one and definitely felt it the next day!
- Empowered Fitness Training offers online home workouts, online personal training and online group training. It is FREE for current members and clients, but you can become a new member with a few simple steps. They want you to stay home and stay strong.
*Indigo Yoga – Free Class Friday
5. Themed Dinner Party
- Looking for something silly to do with your kiddos or quarantine mates? Have a themed dinner party. You can dress up fancy, as your favorite movie or TV characters, as your favorite animal, show your school spirit, the list goes on. The more creative the better! Once you’ve decided on your theme, order take out or delivery from your favorite downtown business!
*The Pearl Bar & Grill – Take and Bake Meal
- Watch one of Gallery One‘s exhibition walkthrough videos. You can enjoy the beauty of art from your couch. Never been inside Gallery One (*gasp), check out their virtual tour of the space. If you are inspired to create after watching one of their videos, sign up for a virtual class.
- If you were the Ellensburg Bull where would you take a vacation? Print a PDF coloring page to complete and tag the Ellensburg Downtown Association so we can see your creativity once you are finished!
- Hidden Treasures will locally deliver a paint at home pottery kit. It includes 5 bisque pieces with paints and supplies. Call them when you are done and they will pick up, fire your creation and deliver back to you, for just $30.
*Gallery One – Ray Mack Exhibit Walk-through
7. Send Love and Support to an Essential Worker
- Purchase an eGift card to send to an essential worker to say “Thank You.”
- Evolve Clothing & Jewelry offers a greeting card pack with 4 cards. A thoughtful card, with a personal message inside, is the perfect surprise to receive in the mail.
- Gallery One has three Care Packages you can send, The Hand Washer, The Wanderer and The Homebody. Each package is filled with products to make a special someone smile. You can order online and add a personal message. I personally love the London, Paris, Rome, Ellensburg tea towel and Swedish dishcloth designed by Justin Beckman, in The Homebody Care Package.
*Evolve Clothing & Jewelery – Greeting Card Pack
- Play Trivia Wednesday nights, hosted by Iron Horse Brewery. They will also be hosting a Family Trivia Night on April 23rd at 4 pm. Download the Kahoot App on your phone, and tune in on Zoom, to play. Head to Iron Horse’s Facebook Page for more information on how to join the fun!
*Iron Horse Brewery – Trivia Night
9. Home Improvements
- Woods Ace Hardware is still open. Get the products you need to work in your garden or start one if you don’t have one! If you have been dreaming of accomplishing some home renovations, now is the time.
- Restorations in the Burg has an online gallery of what new products they have. If something catches your eye, message them to schedule an appointment for pick-up/purchase.
*Restorations in the Burg – Dresser
10. Get Cozy
- Claim Clothing not only has FREE shipping, but also 20% off sitewide with the code: STAYCATION20. I have been living in a cozy pink sweater I ordered. The website is so easy to navigate and it is so hard not to buy one of everything. I think my next purchase will be the coziest looking sherpa sweater! Who says we can’t dress cute while social distancing?
- Purity Soapworks offers Bath Bombs and Bath Salts that smell dreamy. Draw yourself a relaxing bath to take time for yourself. Purity Soapworks also offers Soy Candles and Wax Melts to fill the room with delightful aromas.
- Evolve Clothing & Jewelry has leggings, hoodies and relaxed tees for your comfort. With free shipping on all orders $10 and up, you don’t want to miss out.
*Claim Clothing – Everyday Sherpa Pullover
I hope one of my recommendations inspires you to stay busy while supporting downtown businesses. Visit our Covid-19 page on our website for more information and assistance during this time. As always, #lovedowntowneburg.