Starting a Business

Interested in starting a business in Ellensburg? Please view the three steps below to begin the process.

Iron Horse Brewery

Contact the City of Ellensburg Clerk’s office prior to submitting your business license application to determine the correct type of license you will need. A regular license is $35 charged on a sliding scale and is prorated depending on the number of employees you have. The license must be renewed each year.

City of Ellensburg Clerk’s Office
501 N Anderson Street, Ellensburg
(509) 962-7204

Contact the Kittitas County Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Department to assist you with a wide variety of services including business planning, training, industry research, marketing, financial planning, referrals, and troubleshooting. Services are free and confidential and available to any individual considering starting a business in Kittitas County.

Sarah Truglio, Certified Business Advisor

Washington Small Business Development Center

Located at Yakima County Development Association

10. N. 9th St.

Yakima, WA 98901

P. 509-575-1140 ext. 117

[email protected]

Washington SBDC now offering services at the Kittitas County Chamber of Commerce.

The services offered are:

· Planning and growing a business
· Analyzing financial statements
· Acquiring capital and managing cash flow
· Buying or selling a business
· Exporting to markets around the world
· Market research
· Business systems and record keeping
· Getting and keeping customers
· Cost-cutting strategies
· Employee recruitment
· Succession planning
· Tech commercialization
Just to name a few!

Contact the Washington State Department of Revenue, Business Licensing Service to obtain a Master Business License and register your trade name. Because of the wide range of specialty licenses required is best to call them prior to submitting your application. They will help determine the correct license an customize your forms for you. A Washington State Master Business License is $15.00 and trade name registry is $5.00. The license does not expire unless you do not report to the Department of Revenue during the normal schedule. You must report to the DOR if show no quarterly income. You will receive a UBI# with your Master Business License. If you are purchasing items for resale or as components of an item which will be resold contact the Washington State Department of Revenue for a Reseller’s Permit. You will need your UBI number to get this free permit. A reseller permit allows the business owner to purchase items for resale without paying sales tax. Tax is then charged by the business owner to the end user of the purchased items.

Washington State Department of Revenue, Yakima Office
3703 River Rd., Suite 3
Yakima, WA 98902-7325
(509) 454-5160
(800) 647-7706

Enroll in the NxLevel Entrepreneur Course offered once a year beginning in September, this 10-week course will help you develop your entrepreneurial ideas and make them a reality. The course covers the basics of a business plan and brings in guest speakers who are professionals in the fields of marketing, the internet, legalities, accounting, bookkeeping, and management. The series is Self-Employment Assistance Program (SEAP) approved. For more information on SEAP benefits, click here or contact the local WorkSource office at (509)925-5311.