Redirecting your B&O tax to Ellensburg
The Main Street tax credit incentive program provides a Business & Occupation (B&O) or Public Utility tax (PUT) credit for private contributions given to eligible downtown organizations. Once your business donation request is approved by the Department of Revenue, you are eligible for a tax credit worth 75% of the contribution to your downtown revitalization organization.
What other program essentially lets you self-direct your business taxes? Furthermore, the Ellensburg Downtown Association is a 501(C)(3) and you may be eligible for a federal income tax deduction as a charitable contribution.
Here is an outline of how the program works:
- For every dollar that you donate to the EDA through this program, you receive a $.75 credit in B&O Taxes the following year (i.e. donate $1000, receive a $750 tax credit).
- There are 34 eligible Washington Main Street Communities. Each community can receive up to $95,238 in donations (75% equals $71,428.50 in tax credits).
- If there are unused credits from other communities after the first quarter, donors can sign up for additional credits for their communities (in excess of the community cap of $95,238). Find this information after March of 2021.
- Still want to participate? Contact us ASAP!
Here is how you make the pledge:
- Anytime between now and March 31 at 5 pm, log on to the Department of Revenue and make your pledge, choosing Ellensburg as the recipient. Detailed, step-by-step instructions. Detailed step-by-step instructions.
- Pay your donation in full by November 2021.
The credits will automatically be available on your account as of January 2022.