Redirecting your B&O tax to Ellensburg
Keep your tax dollars local and support the economic vitality of downtown Ellensburg through the Washington State Main Street Tax Credit Incentive Program.
HOW DOES THE MAIN STREET TAX CREDIT INCENTIVE PROGRAM WORK?
- Between January 10th and March 31st, each community can receive up to $180,180.18 in donations from donors (75% equals $135,135.14 in tax credits).
- As a business, when you pledge to donate to the Ellensburg Downtown Association through the Washington Main Street Tax Credit Program, you will receive 75% of your donation back as a WA State B&O tax credit for 2023.
- If after March 31st, there are unused credits from other communities, donors can sign up for additional credits for their communities and each community can receive up to $213,333.33 in donations from donors (75% equals $160,000 in tax credits). This time period is highly competitive between organizations, as funds are allotted on a first come first serve basis, so we highly recommend applying before March 31st.
- Donate $4,000? You’ll get a $3,000 credit. Your full pledged amount is also tax deductible, since the EDA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit. This means you are able to redirect your tax dollars back into our Historic Downtown – helping us in our mission to empower and preserve community by amplifying our economy and creating a sense of place for all.
Visit the WA Department of Revenue’s www.dor.wa.gov to make your pledge.
- Sign in or create an account
- Choose “More Excise Tax Options” in the Account box
- Select “Manage/Apply for a Tax Credit” in the Credits box
- Select “Add Main Street Application”
- Find Ellensburg Downtown Association and enter the Contribution Amount; click next
- Fill in the required information and Submit.
Screen shot instructions: https://preservewa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Main-Street-Application-Guide-1.pdf
Before November 15th, 2022 make your donation payment of the pledged amount to the Ellensburg Downtown Association by mailing a check to 119 West 5th Avenue, Ste. 102, Ellensburg, WA 98929.
Please contact Brenda DeVore, EDA Executive Director, to learn more about how to take advantage of this one-of-a-kind program at [email protected] or 509-962-6246.
On January 2022, when you go to pay your B&O online, you will have the credit available in your account. It’s really that simple!
- Donate to the EDA and receive a state B&O tax credit of 75% of the donation amount.
- Receive a federal tax deduction for the remaining 25%.
- This is a way to direct your tax dollars right back into your community.
- Pledging for the program starts the second Monday in January.
- Pledge by March 15th, pledging early is best!
- Each Main Street city has a cap of $95,000 in donation pledges in Q1.
- Pledge early but your donation to the EDA can be made as late as November 15th.
- Pledges are made on the Department of Revenue website.
- The federal tax deduction can be taken in the same year as the donation and the state B&O credit becomes
available starting January of the following year.
- Any donation amount works.
- Credits may not be carried over to subsequent years.
- Anyone who pays B&O taxes in Washington can contribute to any Main Street Program in Washington (you don’t have to be in downtown Ellensburg).
- This program is unique to Washington and has been a proven economic catalyst for historic Main Street towns since 2006.
Thank you to our 2021 donors:
- Goodfellow Bros
- Iron Horse Brewery
- Fitterer’s Furniture
- Wray Electric
- Heritage Bank/Central Valley Bank
- Cashmere Valley Bank
- Kittitas Valley Greenhouse
- Puget Sound Energy Inc.
- Yakima Federal Savings and Loan Association
- AIC Insurance Agency
- Claim Clothing
- ABC Fire Control Inc.
- Hayday Bake and Brew LLC
- Pretty Fair Beer
- Cornerstone Pie Inc.
- Collins Restaurant Group LLC