The Ellensburg Downtown Association (EDA) is an award winning Washington State designated and nationally accredited Main Street program. Formed in 2004, the EDA has been a key partner in the revitalization of historic Downtown Ellensburg by following the National Main Street Center’s 4-Point Approach.
The 4-Point Approach is a comprehensive community based approach to community revitalization that emphasizes efforts in each of the four points – design, promotion, economic vitality and organization. There points are reflected in our yearly work plans.
Design: The EDA works to create a safe, clean, walkable downtown. In partnership with the City of Ellensburg, the organization manages downtown street furniture including planters, benches, trashcans, and bike racks. The EDA also manages the roof line lighting. The EDA hosts Downtown Clean Up every spring in partnership with Central Washington University and Ellensburg Rotary clubs.
Promotion: Driving traffic downtown is a major focus of the EDA. This is accomplished by hosting a wide array of events that highlight our retail, services, and restaurants. Events like Girls Night Out, Ellensburg Restaurant Week, Buskers in the Burg, Hoedown in the Downtown, and Hometown Holidays.
Economic Vitality: The EDA’s primary focus is on the historic downtown “core” between the parameters of 6th Ave to 2nd Ave and Ruby Street to Water Street. The EDA supports business in many ways including promotion on our website/social media, hosting the NxLevel Entrepreneur Course, welcoming new businesses, and being a resource to businesses as they grow.
Organization: The EDA strives to have a well-managed organization that fundraises effectively, runs programs concurrently, expands partnerships regularly, and welcomes volunteers with enthusiasm. The EDA is managed by a 12 person Board of Directors, manages 4 working committees, and is maintained by an Executive Director, PR Coordinator, and Administrative Assistant.
2019 Great American Main Street Award Semifinalist
Each year, the National Main Street Center recognizes exceptional Main Street communities whose successes serve as a model for comprehensive, preservation-based commercial district revitalization with the Great American Main Street Award (GAMSA). In 2019, downtown Ellensburg was named a Semifinalist for the award, naming us one of the top ten historic downtowns in the country.
Washington State Excellence on Main Awards:
- Outstanding Economic Restructuring Success Story (2008)
- Outstanding Promotion (2008)
- Outstanding Economic Restructuring Success Story (2009)
- Outstanding Public Private Partnership (2009)
- Outstanding Achievement in Promotion for the Hoedown in the Downtown (2012)
- Outstanding Promotional Event for Hometown Holidays (2013)
- Visual Impact for the Street Furniture Project (2014)
- Community Partnership for collaborative work on the Geddis Building (2014)
- Entrepreneur of the Year to Royal Sports (2014)
- Entrepreneur of the Year- Claim Clothing (2015)
- Organization Excellence- Ellensburg Downtown Association (2015)
- Excellence on Main- Rory Turner (2016)
- Outstanding Promotional Event- Buskers in the Burg (2016)
To get involved, click here and be taken to our volunteer sign up page.
To donate, click here and be taken to our online donation form.